Participate in the 2nd Annual Community Clean Water Summit
If you’ve been looking for an opportunity to “think globally, but act locally”, in Montgomery County, then mark your calendars for the Community Clean Water Summit on March 3rd, 2012 (snow date March 11th) and show your support for the local streams in your watershed. They need your help!
This summit, which will take place at the Silver Spring Civic Building located at 1 Veterans Place, Silver Spring and is near public transportation, is the perfect opportunity for networking and volunteerism. You will meet with local environmental leaders working to make Montgomery County a cleaner and healthier place to live and can join your fellow neighbors to learn how to make a difference in the health of the County’s streams. Throughout this process, you’re guaranteed make new friends and have fun!
Some of the topics to be discussed throughout the day include:
- How a recent Watershed Stewards Academy graduate “Got the Scoop” and tackled the issue of pet waste in her neighborhood and created a campaign in an innovative way.
- How residents can reap the benefits of a RainScaped yard and the rebates available for installing them.
- How to get involved in the regional efforts of the Alice Ferguson Foundation on establishing a Trash Free Potomac Watershed.
- How one resident saw a need for more action in his watershed and will soon celebrate the one year anniversary of the group he formed, the Muddy Branch Alliance.
- How the sinister actions of invasive plants are hindering our stream ecology. Are they in your yard?
- The growing army of Watershed Steward Academy graduates storming the landscape to improve water quality and how to be one!
Don’t miss your chance to be a part of this local movement. The event is free, but there is a limited space, so hurry and register for this wonderful occasion!
Make sure to come early and check out the tent that REI has generously donated as a door prize and the Rain Barrel Raffle that Interstate Commission on the Potomac River Basin (ICPRB) is kindly sponsoring! You must be present to win!
Event tip: To help reduce waste, we encourage you to bring your own cup or water bottle.